Thursday, August 31, 2017

Captiva Island and Quality Family Time

The first thing I did on my first morning at South Seas Resort on Captiva Island was to lace up my running shoes and go for a little run. I can get 4 miles in, with a Starbucks stop along the way and never leave the resort! Then I headed over to the condo to bake some special chocolate chip muffins for everyone. Surprise! The kids were still in bed! Actually, they'd had a really long couple of days traveling and were still on west coast time.

Even the lure of swimming and beach couldn't get these tired kids out
of bed on the first day.

The grandkids were literally overwhelmed with choices! The condo pool? The waterpark pool? The main pool? The beach? Decisons, decisions!

We opted to take everyone to the H2 Whoa! water park and let the kids get that experience before making any other plans for the day. They loved it!! I walked over to the Tiki Bar at the main pool complex and got Bloody Marys for me and daughter-in-law. A great start to the vacation!

Cheers!! Bloody Marys by the pool on first day.
Mom and daughter...first day at the pool

Marissa going down the water slide

Trevor...just a big splash as he exited the faster water slide

The next few days were a blur of activity, I can't even sort it all out. Some activities were done solo, some done with one or two grand-kids, some done with the entire family. But there was plenty of pool time, plenty of time spent at the beach, and plenty of time spent at the ice cream parlor.

The granddaughter took part in a couple of the kids' activities at the Activity Center.

Craft day for Marissa..."sandy candy" art

The kids took time on several days to go out in search of the 15 different Discovery boxes scattered about the resort. Each box has a plaque with information about the flora and fauna on the island or about the history of the island settlement in the early days. In the box are rubber bracelets. The kids collect all 15 and then turn them in to the Activity Center and receive a commemorative bracelet and their name on the wall for the week. We even went out one night after dark with flashlights to find one of the boxes. Fun adventure!

On our way to find the Discovery boxes at Redfish Pass




We spent a couple of days at the big pool complex, having drinks in the morning and then lunch poolside, brought to us by a cadre of waitstaff. So luxurious to be waited on as we lolled in our chairs!





We had rain one afternoon, so spent a couple of hours indoors playing board games and doing some little girl crafting. Then it was time for dinner, and while my son grilled some steaks, we spent a little time in the pool at our little condo cluster.

At the condo pool

Marissa making a little stuffed animal. I bought a really
cute sewing kit for girls...5 different animals. So adorable!


I got a couple more runs in, one of them almost 6 miles, leaving the resort and heading into the cute little Captiva downtown area. And of course, a stop at Starbucks on my way back! One day we took the Cabbage Key day cruise (separate blog entry).

Another of those days I went out for a run and my son and family took my car to Sanibel Island to take a kayak guided tour of the Ding Darling National Wildlife Preserve. As I was returning back to the north end of the resort with my Starbucks, they passed me on their way out. Quick waves and "good mornings" and they headed off for their adventure and I returned to my room for breakfast.

Next: Our boat trip out to Cabbage Key for lunch!






No comments:

Post a Comment