Thursday, February 12, 2015

Stoking the Fire...

Boredom is the enemy of my running.  The same route every time I head out the door gets very stale. So when I travel, I almost always seek out running routes.  

I'm parked for the week at one of my lovely Marriott time-share villas in the Buena Vista area and the weather has been perfect for running.  Add to this the fact that I'm still feeling a wee bit bad about not running the Tallahassee Half Marathon this past weekend and feel the need to put in a few extra miles to make up for that spell of laziness.

I've stayed at several different Marriott properties in the Orlando area and this one - Cypress Harbour Resort - is by far the best one yet.  It sits on a large, wooded piece of land, beautifully landscaped, wonderful running trails, several pools, a large lake, restaurant, cafe, poolside bar, market.  An of all of the properties I've stayed at, this one is situated in a location that even allows me to leave the property and run on a beautiful shaded boulevard with wide sidewalk and very little traffic.  Five stars for these amenities and an extra star for being so runner-friendly.


The first morning after arriving, I was still feeling those guilt pangs, so took off on a long run over to the Premium Outlet Mall where Google Maps showed a Starbucks.  I tucked my room key and Starbucks card in the pocket of my shorts and headed out.  I felt sufficiently redeemed after this run but knew that I needed to take advantage of this ideal running location several more times before the week was over.

The next afternoon I headed out for a shorter run - a little over 3 miles - and rewarded myself with an ice cream sundae at the Lakehouse here at the resort.


Several friends met me for lunch at Black Hammock Fish Camp in nearby Oviedo FL.  It's a cool place, one that a riding friend introduced me to several years ago on one of my past trips to the area by motorcycle.  We had a good turnout - 9 or 10 folks, all but me on motorcycles.  The food is good, and the location is charmingly central Florida 50's era funky.  Not many places like this remain in the central Florida area.  So much real estate has been taken over by rampant post-Disney development.

Now a day has gone by with no running.  That won't do.  So this morning I took off on a nice morning run before breakfast.  It was a little cooler and felt great!  I discovered that the Marketplace here at the resort sells Starbucks, so I had a nice treat for myself after my run.


Just a couple more days left...let's see if I can get out there two more times for runs.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lovely place to stay and get your runs in. I am glad you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite places to just chill out for a week.

    ReplyDelete