Monday, February 9, 2015

I Can't Believe I Wimped Out!

Tallahassee Half Marathon...nope!  Didn't happen.

A few months ago I used a deposited timeshare week for a unit in the Orlando area, another Marriott property.  I've never been disappointed by Marriott timeshare resorts and have stayed at a number of them.  There are a whole bunch in the Orlando area, so I chose another new-to-me property and made reservations for mid-February.

Then I looked at race calendars to see if there were any races on the the front end or back end of this week.  I found Tallahassee Marathon/Half Marathon on Feb 8, which would be perfect for my travel plans.  So I signed up and made my travel plans to get there Saturday afternoon in time for packet pickup, run the race the next morning, then drive to Orlando and check in to the resort unit.

A running friend has also signed up for this Tallahassee race, so we made plans to meet for dinner the evening before.  Over dinner I shared with her my feelings about doing the race the next morning.  I had a few things weighing heavily on my mind.  The drive over from Houston put those things front and center in my psyche and quite honestly, I just wasn't feeling up to doing the race the next morning.  So when we parted after dinner, I let her know that I may not be at the start line the next morning.

Friend Sally at Pasta Dinner in Tallahassee

And I wasn't at that start line in the morning.  I went to bed telling myself that I would make my final decision based on how I felt when I woke up the next day.  So when my alarm went off at 6:00 AM the decision came instantly.  I would not run the race.  I laid in bed for another hour, dozing.  When 7:00 AM came, I knew that, even if I had wanted to change my mind, it would not have been in time. The decision was final.

Race bib and event shirt....a tough decision

My feelings vacillated between regret and guilt as I packed up, checked out of the hotel and started driving toward Orlando.  I hated that I had paid for a race, made the commitment to run it, and then reneged at the last minute.  It was just so not in my character to do this.

But it was done, so I could only look forward, not backward.

The drive to the Orlando area was uneventful and before I arrived at the resort, I stopped at the Publix nearby - one that I almost always shop at when I come to this area - and stocked up for the week.  My unit was ready for me when I arrived, which was very good news, since it was a little early, and I drove around to the building, parked the car, and started unloading luggage and groceries.

I walked over to the Pavilion poolside grill/bar and ordered fish and chips and a Blue Moon draft beer to bring back to my unit.  As I ate dinner I made the commitment to myself that I would get a long run in the next morning.  No shirking, no waffling, no postponing.  It was as good as done.

6.2 mile run the day after my aborted race plans...partial redemption

So the next morning, Starbucks card in back pocket, I set out for a 6+ mile run.  3 miles to Starbucks and then 3 miles back home to the resort.   I put in a good effort on the outbound run and then sipped my cappuccino and ran/walked my way back to the resort.  I felt somewhat redeemed when I was done.

1 comment:

  1. No shame in backing out if you just aren't feeling it. Better not to run it than be distracted and get hurt.

    ReplyDelete