Monday, March 10, 2014

Off to Tour the Colorado National Monument

The gals who organized the Dreamcatcher Half Marathon thought of everything!  Restaurants, lunches, brunches, tours of the area.  And one of those tours was a 4-hour guided visit to nearby Colorado National Monument.  Well....I'm in!

I visited this park in May, 2009 by motorcycle while attending a get-together in nearby Moab.    While the ride was great and very scenic, riding a motorcycle through this national monument park is nonetheless very nerve-wracking!  So getting to take a guided tour where I could enjoy the views without worrying about dropoffs with no guardrails and oncoming cars that wander over the line into my narrow lane.  This is going to be a fabulous morning!
My tour mate and I at one of the overlooks

I was picked up promptly at 8 AM.  There were two of us plus the driver Donna, the driver who did such an excellent job yesterday on the wine tour!  We headed straight for the park, climbing up the switchback road to the top where the rim road begins.  The nice thing about there being just the three of us, is that we could pick and choose the stops, spend as much or as little time as we wanted, and therefore were able to make more stops than if we were a larger group.  Awesome!!  And we pulled over at nearly every single pull-out and hiked out onto several of the trails to the vista points for photos.

Just a sampling...the rest of the photos can be found in my SmugMug album here:  Colorado National Monument Album.









Now it's time to pack up and head for home.  A nice long weekend in Grand Junction and I have vowed to come back here soon!



2 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous views - and a nice sunny day too.

    I can't believe only two of you went on the tour. How cool to have such a small group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics. Really like the perspective you give each.

    ReplyDelete