Thursday, March 6, 2014

Next Stop....Grand Junction, CO

Here I go again.  This time it's Grand Junction CO to run the DreamCatcher Half Marathon.

Such a cute town!  I rode through here on my motorcycle a few years ago, coming up from Moab to run through Colorado National Monument and making a big loop on some terrific roads.  But I never spent any time in the town itself.

The hotel is right downtown, within walking distance of everything I could possibly need for my stay...a great assortment of cafe's and brewpubs, a grocery store, the race start line down along the Colorado River.'

It was a pleasant surprise to discover that United Airlines flies non-stop from Houston to the little airport in Grand Junction.  My suitcase was on the conveyor belt in baggage claim almost before I got there.  I called the hotel and they sent a free shuttle to get me, arriving within minutes of my call.   They even let me check in early.

Lunch at a place recommended by the front desk clerk....Main Street Bagel.  I told her I was desperate for a good cappuccino and this was her solution.  Excellent cuppa and a great cream cheese and lox bagel, complete with red onion and capers.  OMG!


Then I took an easy walk over to the grocery store just a couple of blocks away to buy some fruit, Gatorade, and other foodstuffs for my room.  Lots of great street art scattered all through this quaint little main street downtown area...will be worth further exploration tomorrow, camera in hand.

Buffalo made entirely from old car bumpers



I will not be at a loss for ways to entertain myself while here.  I've already discovered a great little yarn shop and a couple of doors down there's a sports outfitters' shop which I may need to browse.

Tangle yarn shop

The race organizers have been busy providing us with email newsletters chock full of planned events and ideas for things to do.  I'm already signed up for their wine tour Saturday afternoon after the race, a bus tour of Colorado National Monument, and they pointed out to us that the town's first brewpup, Rockslide Brewery, was having their 20th anniversary party on Thursday evening.



I walked over there earlier this evening to buy some dinner to go, and have a pint of their special 20th anniversary Platinum Blond ale - just $1 a pint!

Tomorrow:  explore the downtown in more detail, then packet pickup and pasta dinner!

1 comment:

  1. Great name for a yarn shop.

    Looks like a cute little town. Have fun exploring today and good luck with the race.

    ReplyDelete