Friday, January 17, 2014

Confessions of a Wayward Runner

Atalanta, Greek god of running

Forgive me, running gods, for I have sinned.  I have dined with the devils of excess and 
dallied at the tables of the dessert gods.  Temptation and laziness - and cold weather - have 
led me astray from my straight-and-narrow healthy ways of running.

Shower your forgiveness upon me by letting me repent my ways. 
Assign me acts of contrition so that I may stay mindful.

Give me fartleks and speed intervals so that I may grow strong of mind.
Lead me through 10 mile runs so that I may gain endurance.
But what ever you do...don't take away my chocolate!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Truth be told, I've let myself fall into this state of slothfulness on purpose.  My last meaningful long run was the half marathon in Charlotte NC in mid-November.  Desperate for relief from the metatarsal pain I had been experiencing for the past 3 months drove me to visit a podiatrist after Thanksgiving.  It was the classic joke:

                             Me:                  "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
                             The Podiatrist:  "Well then stop doing it."

Easy, right?  So, based on that recommendation and some recommended metatarsal pads, I didn't run a single mile for 6 weeks.  But then the "need for speed" struck and I went for a tentative run just before Christmas and a couple more short runs between Christmas and New Year's.  So far, so good.  The metatarsal pads and the break from running seems to be helping, but the real test will be the longer runs.

I did a few short runs in early January and even sneaked a little bit longer run the end of last week with no adverse effects.  Feeling emboldened, I've done a few more short runs and now, here we are.  The Biggest Loser RunWalk in Las Cruces NM is little more than one week away.

I still haven't gotten the long runs in that I normally would have, just prior to a half marathon, but adrenaline goes a long way!  See you at the Biggest Loser RunWalk start line!

1 comment:

  1. You may have taken a short hiatus but at least you are working your way back into it. We've been slacking on our walking/hiking lately due to weather.

    Is it nice and toasty in Texas? We've been waking to 35˚F weather and socked in fog with highs of 39. Ick blah. Damn inversions. Time to head to the coast and find some sun again.

    ReplyDelete