Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I'm Such A Slouch!

Seriously.  I'm here at a beautiful resort right on the ocean in Myrtle Beach and I've been a total bum...  although I did find the Starbucks on the property and have given them a fair bit of my money. 

Sunset from the upper fire pit level overlooking pool and ocean

The resort is gorgeous!  The time-share villas are beautiful.  Mine is a corner unit, two bedrooms (one of them a very spacious master suite), two baths, huge living area, full kitchen, gorgeous view off the balcony.  I sat out there one afternoon enjoying a cappuccino and the view.  But generally it's been too cold to sit out there with my morning coffee.

Looking through the stacks of papers they always give their guests at these timeshares, I found several brochures for shows at the various venues in town.  One was close by and recommended by Sharon, the woman in Marketing who had called me at home prior to my trip and again once I got settled into my unit.  She mentioned there were several Christmas shows just starting their seasonal runs and that they were well-worth taking in while I was in town. 

Tuesday morning I got online for the Carolina Opry and bought a ticket for the Tuesday 1:00 PM matinee.    Before the show I drove a few more miles north up US 17 to Walmart.  I wanted to buy more bananas and Cheerios, and picked up some fresh blackberries and a package of granola bars, too.  They make good road food.  There was a Wendy's next to Walmart, so what the heck!  I went ahead and had a chicken sandwich on a pretzel bun.  Pretty tasty! 

Carolina Opry lobby
This was most definitely the "senior citizen" matinee at Carolina Opry!  I was probably one of the youngest in the audience.  A small tour van full of senior citizens was at the Wendy's and I followed that same tour van into the Opry parking lot. 

The Opry house is gorgeous and was beautifully decorated for the holidays.  I loved that it was less than 2 miles from the resort and how easy the parking was.  I paid only a few more dollars for the platinum seating, and was in the 4th row, center section, seat 3.  But I don't think there was a bad seat anywhere in the house. 

Carolina Opry
What a show!  It covered every facet of holiday song, from gospel to familiar holiday songs such as Jingle Bells.  A few interesting and wonderful new twists to some old familiar favorites and with a few humorous skits mixed in.  The best part for me, though, was the costumes and gowns.  Every time a female cast member left the stage, she came back on in a totally new and stunning gown. 

The quartet of male tap dancers/cloggers (a la Stomp!) were fantatic!  The female dance troupe (a la Rockets) were not quite as stellar as the tap dancers, but still entertaining.  


Overall a very entertaining show and great way to spend the afternoon!

On my first evening here at the resort I ate at the restaurant at the Marriott Hotel on property.  The food was plentiful and I brought half of it, along with half of the bottle of wine, back to my villa to have for dinner the next night.  This proved to be an excellent plan, so I did it again on Tuesday evening after the Christmas performance.  Now I have leftovers for dinner Wednesday night.  Between the leftovers, and the sandwiches and Starbucks at the Marketplace café in the villas section of the resort, there is no need to purchase groceries for meals. 

Just one more day and night here at this great resort and then I hit the road for Charlotte NC and the Thunder Road Marathon/Half Marathon.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are relaxing and enjoying yourself. Just what you need before the next marathon.

    The Opry house sounds lovely, I like the picture of the outside.

    ReplyDelete