Friday, January 4, 2013

Exploring the Blues in Jackson MS

So....the second time across I-10 was a totally different experience!  Very little traffic...good weather.  A very pleasant few hours' drive and I arrived in Jackson MS.  State capital, significant stop along the Blues Trail, and home of the Mississippi Blues Marathon.  Here I'll play and "work" - as in, run 13.1 miles in a race - for the next two days.
One of many plaques in Jackson, marking significant
historic Blues locations 

I arrived mid-afternoon on Thursday, checked into the very nice Hilton Garden Inn on Capitol Street, and then walked over to the convention center to pick up my race packet and check out the exhibitors at the Fitness Expo.   It was an easy 3 block walk, but the 45 degree temperatures felt like 20 degrees with the strong winds coming right out of the north.  Needless to say, I did not tarry too long.  Only long enough to capture a few photos of the area near the hotel.


A neat mosaic in the sidewalk in front of a
now-defunct business.

"Ghost mural" on Capitol Street.  I took
this photo for a friend who maintains
a fantastic "Roadside Wonders" website

Fabulous neon-ornamented Cafe on Capitol Street





















Race packet reusable drawstring bag
and logo'd harmonica.
The expo was small, with only a few vendors, but they were selling the things that mattered:  energy gels and Blox, gloves, headbands, hats, shirts and shorts.   The race registration included a technical fabric event shirt, but I also bought a cotton t-shirt with the cool Mississippi Blues race logo.  The race packet included a harmonica...with the marathon logo imprinted on it.  How cool is that?  Even the reusable backpack-type bag is pretty cool!



Thursday evening I ordered in room service and ate it while watching the Oregon Ducks win the Fiesta Bowl . Seemed like the right thing to do, since I ran in the Fiesta Bowl Half marathon last month.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, late morning, I struck out again to explore the historic downtown area in a little more depth.  Tulsa may claim to have one of the best historic Art Deco downtowns - which they do - but Jackson MS has some serious Art Deco architecture of its own.  I found a great website, listing the historic downtown buildings and with this as my guide, I found and photographed most of them.

Here are a few:

"New" Capitol Building

Governor's Mansion

Site of first Christian congregation

"Old" Capitol Building

Bank of Mississippi building on left;
couple of nice buildings next to it.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some beautiful "commerce" buildings on Capitol Street:

Former Jones-Kennington Dry Goods Store (now Heritage Building) (1905)




Lamar Life Insurance Building, beautiful Gothic-style built 1924-1925



Then before heading to Subway to pick up a sandwich, I stopped by the start line area to snap a photo of the set-up crew:


1 comment:

  1. Wow, some really great building. Thanks for sharing the pictures. So much history and so many cool places to see in this country.

    As you can tell I am a little behind and trying to catch up on your posts.

    ReplyDelete