Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Combined X-Mas and New Year's in Mandeville

Having now driven the same stretch of I-10 two weeks in a row, I can definitely confirm that driving it over a holiday week is not for the faint of heart.

Last week, driving to Mandeville was the pits.  Heavy rain and heavy traffic resulted in an 8-hour torture rack...this is a trip that normally only takes 5.5 hours.  Delays, delays, delays and drivers who left their common sense and courtesy back home.  EYE ON THE PRIZE, I kept telling myself.  KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE.  The prize was a visit with son, daughter-in-law, and grandkids and an early New Year's celebration.

I made black-eyed peas in the crockpot a couple of days before, its mouthwatering aroma filling the house.  Corn bread filled the house with its tantalizing aroma the next day.  To complete the New Year's meal, I had a spiral ham left over from Christmas.  I packed all of this up and brought it with me to Mandeville, along with a plate of homemade toffee bars, a bag full of Christmas presents and a bunch of New Year's party favors - hats, beads, noise-makers and some funky "2013" Elton John-esque glasses.


We had a fun time, with varying levels of participation in the New Year's fun, and played a cut-throat game of Trouble.
Mimi is ready to go!
The next morning we met for breakfast at Waffle House:


Trevor is getting so big!
A happy Mimi!















   And then I continued on to Stockton AL for a get-together that's held every year on the same day:  December 30.  It draws riders from all over, and an award is given to the rider(s) coming from the greatest distance.  This year's winner is a friend of mine from Utah.  Over 2,000 miles ridden, one way, to attend this year's Stagecoach event.  Good job, girlfriend!

Back home in time to celebrate the actual New Year's in my own house and then three days later, it's off to Jackson MS for my next running adventure.


1 comment:

  1. It sounds as though you were super busy over the holidays, but that was a good thing - except for the traffic.

    ReplyDelete