Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Over the River, and Through the Woods....

The kids are coming!  The grandkids are coming!  I am beyond excited!

It's not every year that I get to share thanksgiving with my family.  This year I've been blessed once again.  Tomorrow morning they all pile into their car and head to grandma's house.  My house.

My preparations began last week, when I did all of my Thanksgiving food shopping before leaving for Tulsa and the half marathon.  Not wanting to deal with the crowds this week, I got it all done last week, got things put away in the pantry, in the fridge, and in the freezer in preparation for this year's Thanksgiving feast on Thursday.

So yesterday I pulled out the cranberries, the walnuts, the crushed pineapple, the Jello packages and made my mom's cranberry salad recipe.  It's become a family tradition and now, this year, will be served in her memory. 

The salad is now congealing in the fridge and today I'll get the cherry pie - my son's favorite - made and start prepping the turkey for its overnight soak in brine before it goes in the oven tomorrow.
 
Cherry pie is cooling and brine is steeping.

Tomorrow morning I'll get a run in early, then pull the turkey out of the brine and let it sit in the fridge until it's time to put in the oven.  Son and daughter-in-law are bringing the dressing, and I'll put new potatoes into the oven to roast along with the dressing.  

The leaf is in the dining room table, the placemats have been set out. and chairs arranged. 

Ohhhh....I can't wait!  I can almost smell it!

2 comments:

  1. Are you excited? it is nice to hear the excitement in your voice about your happy day today.

    Are you using Alton Brown's turkey brine recipe? That is what we used to use before we went vegan. Found it was the best way to make a turkey.

    Have a beautiful day today and enjoy the grandkids. I am sure we'll all be waiting for pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving...even thou it is Cyber Monday today.

    ReplyDelete