Thursday, November 29, 2012

On the Road to Scottsdale

November 28 - This is exactly how it looked from my driveway. 
Jupiter sat right next to the Moon at the 10 o'clock position.

Yesterday evening, around 6:30 PM, I had one last thing to do before leaving this morning for Scottsdale, and that was to collect the day's mail and leave a "hold mail" card in its place.  I walked down to the bank of mailboxes and when I turned to walk back to the house, facing east, I was greeted with a breathtaking view of the rising moon, Jupiter tucked up close next to it at about the 10 o'clock position.  It was a gorgeous sight!

This morning was cold - 41 degrees - and foggy as I left my neighborhood and got onto the beltway that took me to I-10 West.  I drove into more fog on I-10 between Brookshire and Seguin.  It's always foggy through here in the early Spring and late Fall.   Numerous rivers cross I-10's path and where cool air meets warm water, or vice versa, fog will develop.  And indeed the fog was thick in sections as the road dipped down into the low-lying spots created by these rivers.  But once west of Seguin the fog cleared out and it was a clear and cloudless day. 

Ample proof of our thick deer population in the Hill Country of Texas lay along the interstate on the road shoulder and the median.  Many carcasses and large bloody splats marked the spots where deer squared off with motor vehicle bumpers.  Always a stark reminder to me of just how dangerous the stretch of I-10 is between Van Horn and Boerne.

In the northern suburbs of El Paso along I-10 for the night, I'll get back on the road in the morning and should get to Scottsdale mid-afternoon.  First stop will be the Runner's Den running store to pick up my race packet, then on to my Hotel. 

Next up:  A visit to Old Town nearby the hotel on Saturday, and Sunday....race day!

1 comment:

  1. I love it when I can see the moon rising and Jupiter bright in the sky. Or in the morning when I can still the moon setting.

    Of course I can't see Jupiter then, so it isn't as neat. Venus is another that is always bright in our skies too.

    ReplyDelete