Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I Need Some Miles!

It's a good thing I have a half-marathon coming up on Saturday.  I need the motivation. 

You see, I haven't run a single mile since doing the Maple Leaf Half Marathon on September 8.   The next three days after that race were spent in my SUV, racing to get home after a very long 2 weeks on the road.  Then, once home, I was feeling pretty-well spent, physically.   I blame it on all of those Vermont hills.

It was pathetic how I creaked every time I got out of the car to get gas on my way home from Vermont.  It was pathetic getting out of bed for the next couple of days after getting home, too.  Every joint in my body from the waist down went on strike while I was asleep.  It took a few pathetic steps and a couple of Advils before I could walk like anything other than an orangutan when I got out of bed in the morning.  Thankfully it didn't last long.

Looking at my running log, I realized I'd run 40 miles in the two weeks spanning the two back-to-back half marathons that I ran this month.  That's 20 miles a week two weeks in a row.  I haven't done that much mileage in a two-week stretch since I gave up running full marathons. 

Even in the weeks building up to a half-marathon race, I might do one long run of maybe 10 or 11 miles, and then a couple of 4 or 5 mile runs one week.  But then I'd take a step backward the following week and do maybe a 7 mile long run and a couple of 4 or 5 mile runs, so that my total for two weeks might reach 36 or 37 miles at the most.  Gak!!  No wonder I've had no desire to put some miles in, these last few days. 

However, the urge to get out there and run is building...I can feel it in my bones. 
The Women's Half Marathon in Nashville is just three days away! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you really put on a lot of miles for the two weeks. I can really understand why you haven't wanted to get back out there yet. It sounds like you are almost raring to go though.

    And what is up with creaky bones after a run? I only did a 5k but my hips were sore the next day.

    ReplyDelete