Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The "Lull" Before the Next "Storm"

The "lull."  So-to-speak...

It's been a slow couple of weeks, now that I'm returned from the IBA party in Jacksonville.  Weekend before last, my son and two grandkids came over from Mandeville to spend the weekend.  I have a beautiful little antique oak chest that I'm giving to my son and this was the excuse for them to come visit me for the weekend.  But this little trip had so many other wonderful benefits, as well!

It gave my daughter-in-law a reprieve from the kids for the weekend.  She could spend those three days doing what ever she wanted to.  Having just come off of a long and tiring trip to California with the kids, she was overdue for this little "vacation" and what parent couldn't use a vacation from the kids??

It gave me the rare opportunity to spend some time with my grandkids without the over-riding influence that having their mom within hailing distance tends to have on their ability to trust their grandma and let her do things for them.  So this was a good opportunity for me to gain their trust a little more and to create some maternal bonds with them.

It gave my son a chance to spend more time with his kids, and particularly with his son, who's reached the age where relationships with dads become an important part of small boys' lives.  And it tested his ability to travel in a car for 6 hours with a 2 year old and a 4 year old and maintain his sanity.

I was lovin' the grandkid time!

But now they're back in Mandeville, and I'm home, recovering from a mild head cold no doubt "gifted" to me by my grandkids (since both were showing symptoms themselves while they were here).

The MTF (Motorcycle Tourer's Forum) 2012 event t-shirts showed up on my doorstep this week from the vendor's, two very large and very heavy boxes, so I spent the last couple of days sorting them, preparing mailing labels, and then packaging them into USPS Priority Mail envelopes and getting them to the post office to get shipped out in time for the first of this year's MTF events.

I've also spent a fair amount of my time this past week poring over my upcoming calendar, fine-tuning travel plans and making needed reservations for those trips that are coming up in the next couple of months.

First up is my ride across I-10 to Pensacola Beach next week to run in that town's half-marathon.  I'll ride the BMW over there on Friday and lie low before the race on Sunday morning.  The next day I plan to leave Pensacola and head up through GA, SC, and NC to pick up a few Waffle Houses for the Waffle House Grand Tour.  This trip will add 6 states to my list of "bagged" states. 

The "storm."  So-to-speak...

Once returned from that trip, things get very busy!!  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment