Sunday, March 25, 2012

Empty, Quiet House This Afternoon


My son's Highlander SUV disappeared around the corner and I walked back into my house, struck by how quiet and empty it now seemed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My son and two grandkids came to visit me this past weekend, arriving mid-afternoon Friday.  Suddenly my house was transformed to one filled with the chatter and joyful noise of a 4 year old and 2 year old, and the floor quickly became covered with toys, puzzles, games, and all the accessories that come with two pre-schoolers.  I was loving it!  The entire weekend my son kept apologizing for the clutter and the disaster zones but I had absolutely  nothing to complain about and gotta say that it was a delight and a pleasure!  What he kept referring to as disruption and clutter I call grandbaby love!

The excuse to put the kids into the car and drive from the Mandeville area to my house was to pick up an antique oak dresser that I was giving to my son, but it also gave this grandma a coveted weekend to spend with grandkids nearly one-on-one, but also gave their mom a respite from caring full-time for the two and a chance to spend the weekend with girlfriends.

Saturday morning we made a trip to Home Depot to purchase a new outdoor light-and-motion-sensor spotlight for my driveway, which my son then installed for me.  That afternoon we played board games, grandson rode his strider bike, Mimi took a nap, I scraped the faux stained-glass effects off the front door "highlights" windows.  That evening we went to IHOP for dinner.  Gasp!  Breakfast food for dinner!! 

Sunday morning we went to the pool and while grandson and son swam, granddaughter and I walked over to the lake bridge and fed the giant turtles and carp that live in the lake. 

Too soon it was time for them to pack up and head for Louisiana and home.   Now the house is way too empty and far too quiet.  What can I use to lure them again to Houston?!

No comments:

Post a Comment