Sunday, December 25, 2011

Rainy outside....cozy Christmas inside


This is the time of year when damp, chilly days replace "hot and humid" in Houston.  Very often it's the norm for Christmas day.  Certainly this was true this year.  The rains moved in the Friday before Christmas and stayed with us all weekend.  But the rain is most welcome here in parched, rain-starved Texas.

Saturday I thought would be the perfect day to turn the oven on and start baking.

It made the house feel so good and smell so wonderful that I followed up with a pork loin roast in the oven and had a grand dinner Christmas eve.

As I was shuffling cookie pans in and out of the oven I remembered the little Jack antenna ball I'd purchased on my way home from Florida a couple of weeks ago.  It was in the center console in my car so rescued him and added him to my Jack ball collection.  This one is especially cute...a little elf, pointy ears and all!

Christmas morning should have been a long run morning for me, but the cold rain was a big deterrent and I finked out.  Just means I'll need to get it done on Monday.  Instead, I lingered over a pot of good coffee and moved a couple of laundry loads through the washer and dryer. 

Then I headed over to visit stepson Bruce and his family for the afternoon.  Two of his three daughters were there, along with their husbands.  One of the daughters has two adorable little girls.  The younger one greeted me with a "knee hug" and proceeded to show me all of her new things and those of her older sister. 

We visited over cake, and I got a little bit of lap time from one of the little girls, while the other, older one shyly told me about her play horse and about the Christmas lights.  I pulled out my cellphone and showed her some horse photos I'd taken in the past. She's definitely into horses right now!

The day is almost over, I'm watching Going My Way with Bing Crosby, and in another hour, I'll watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment