Thursday, September 29, 2011

Getting Back On That Horse

Okay, vacation from running is over.  I've put it off long enough.  Time to stop reveling in the recently finished half marathon in Lansing and start looking ahead to the Women's Half Marathon in St. Petersburg FL.  This meant dragging my lazy self out of bed this morning and getting back on schedule again. 

So easy to fall off the wagon; so hard to climb back on.  I could make all sorts of excuses why I've not run for 10 days:  I've been on the road non-stop; I've been visiting family that are scattered all over the country; I've been busy co-hosting a large weekend event; I've had some long days driving 500-600 miles to get places.  I'm not buying it, though.  Are you?  The time spent in my hotel room, logged into the internet early in the mornings, I could have slipped a run in.  The evenings spent doing nothing constructive, I could have gone out for a short run.

Well, shame on me!  Most of that trip was spent in northern or mountainous locations, where the morning temperatures were gloriously cool.  Now I'm back in Houston, where this morning's temperature was 80 degrees with high humidity, and I have run out of excuses.  I got an "ease back into it" run done this morning, and will hopefully get another done tomorrow.  A "cool" front is supposed to move into the area tomorrow night so I'll reserve my long run for Sunday morning, maybe a seven miler.  Then I'll start ramping those long runs back up over the next several weeks, culminating in a 12 miler two weeks before the WHM event on November 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment