Monday, August 8, 2011

What the Heck Am I Doing?

This morning I got up at 5:00 AM and ran 9.1 miles. That seems like a crazy thing to do at this time of year, especially knowing that when it comes to training for a half or full marathon, I take a low-key attitude. I do only what a traditional training schedule calls for - no more, occasionally a little less. If I'm not in a training cycle, then it's maintenance miles for me! A 6-miler once a week; a couple of 4-miler easy days, maybe squeeze another easy day in. I'll drop down to this schedule immediately after a race and follow it until another running event pops up on the calendar and then it's time to start adding that long-slow-distance day to the weekly schedule. I'm no spring chicken and, at my age, my body takes longer to recover. I've been injury-free and I want to stay that way.

Going back to those 9 miles I ran this morning...it would be a little soon for me to be doing that distance if my next race was the WHM (ever the lazy trainer that I am). But last winter, right after I finished running in the Houston event, I got a "wild hair" and signed up for a half-marathon in Michigan in mid-September. Must have been the endorphins. I don't know what I was thinking at the time, knowing that I wanted to do the Women's Half Marathon in November. Except that I ran the Maui Marathon/Half Marathon last September and found that slipping a fall race into the schedule worked out just fine.  Since I run a half-marathon in early May, the training isn't so hard for another one 4 months later, in September. And then the WHM would be just two months after that. . A relatively short span of time, just enough to recover, not so much time that my body would forget how to run that distance.

So there you have it. I have a half-marathon coming up in mid-September, and then the Women's Half Marathon exactly two months later in November. I'm running in this ridiculous heat and humidity at o'dark thirty in the morning when I really wouldn't have to if I hadn't let those endorphins do all the talking! My long run this week was 9 miles, next week? Who knows. Maybe 10, maybe 8. All I know is that my long run on September 18 needs to be 13.1 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment