Monday, August 22, 2011

Crazy Caffeine Indulgence

Vacation is over.  The suitcases are unpacked and dirty clothes washed, folded, and put away.  I must admit that I slept more soundly in my own bed, cat pressed hard against me.   As glad as I am to be home (and my cat concurs),  it really was a great vacation!    A friend and I shared bottles of wine and beautiful sunsets.  I ate some very good seafood.  I played some golf.  I ran.  I indulged in Starbuck's.

What's that, you say?  Starbucks

There is a Starbuck's at the south end of the resort, just a nice, convenient 1.7 miles from my villa on the north end of Captiva.  This is not a good thing.  Well, it is if you're a Starbuck's fan.  When I was still working, a colleague and I would escape to Starbuck's once a week or so for a mid-morning caffeine hit.  Now that I'm retired, it's a rare treat.  So here was this Starbuck's, right on my running route all this past week.  Do I indulge?  Do I spend the money on a Latte, when I have a perfectly good coffee maker back at the villa?  I mean, $3 or $4 of fixed-income money is a lot to spend for a cup of coffee.  But then, I am on vacation, right?   What to do, what to do?

I did a 4 mile run on Saturday, and ran right past the Starbuck's.  Will power, girl!!  I confess...that was very hard to do.  So on Sunday morning I succumbed to temptation and tucked a $5 bill in with my door key, ran about 3 miles, then doubled back to the Starbuck's and treated myself before finishing my run. 

I had another $5 bill with me when I did my 10 mile run early Tuesday morning, but thought better of the indulgence, thinking what I really needed was a hearty post-long-run breakfast on my screened-in patio, instead.

But, otherwise, the precedent had been set.  When a good friend joined me at the resort on Tuesday afternoon, this became our morning routine for the rest of the week.  I'd leave the villa at 6:15 or 6:30 in the morning for a run.  He'd drive down and meet me at the Starbuck's for coffee and pastries 45 minutes later. 

Now...here's the thing.  I discovered that it's entirely possible to run, holding a Starbucks in one hand, if I put my thumb over the hole in the lid.  Good to know, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment