Tuesday, May 31, 2011

We Need Rain!!

I'm doing the best I can to keep the living things green around my house, running the sprinkler system as much as I dare, but the lawn is a bit brown around the edges and some of the more tender-leafed shrubs and bushes are wilting every afternoon.  This drought is hard on everyone and everything!  And hard on my running, too.

A story in yesterday's newspaper told of the hardships on the wildlife in Texas.  To read it is heartbreaking.  http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/outdoors/tompkins/7586196.html

The heat is record-breaking and I've put off going out for a run two mornings in a row, but today I could put it off no longer.  It's been more than a week since I've gone for a run.  The hiking at 7,000 mile elevation won't count here.  So this morning the cat's meows woke me up at 5:45 AM.  I think she's one smart kitty cat! 

My routine to get out the door is simple:  Don't think, just do.   I pulled on some running clothes, drank a glass of water, set my chronometer to 0:00, and headed out the door.  The heat and humidity assailed me the moment I stepped outside.  I wasn't sure how far I'd run this morning, but wanted to do at least 4 miles. 

Once underway, and once the sweat rivulets began, it couldn't get any worse, so I just settled into a pace that, in the humidity, felt horribly slow, and worked my way around the loop, under the bridge, past the little lake, up the hill then back down the hill and toward the carriage house, then to home.  When it was all said and done, I'd run five miles, and at a pretty good pace, too. 

Tomorrow is National Running Day National Running Day so this means I'll get right back out there tomorrow morning for another run, this time in step with hundreds of thousands of others just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment