Friday, May 20, 2011

Interesting Opinions From the Other Side

The "other side," of course, being folks who have never ridden a motorcycle, yet perpetuate the myths at face value, having no first-hand experience of their own.   And, sadly, these myths are too often believed by untrained, unskilled, or clueless motorcycle riders.

At lunch with some friends the other day, one of the fellows was telling me about his son, who according to him has had to "lay her down" several times in his riding career because of drivers who have pulled out in front of him.  Now....I have no idea how old this son is (I'm guessing maybe in his 40's or 50's) nor do I have any idea how long he's been riding or if he's had professional motorcycle training or if he's taken regular skills courses or advanced rider courses.  I'm guessing the answer is "NO" to these questions.  Who would ever think that "laying her down" is a viable solution to a difficult situation?  The obvious solution is to not find ourselves in a situation where we have to panic brake in the first place.

So how does an experienced and skilled motorcycle rider handle a tight spot?  Here are the tools that the well-trained rider uses:

  • Head on a swivel!   When I ride, my eyes are never locked on the pavement in front of me.  They're continuously making the circuit through my front, my side mirrors, my left and right flanks, my rear.  I'm continuously scanning, assessing, trying to second-guess what the drivers around me are doing.  
  • SIPDE   Remember this from our training?  Scan, Identify, Predict, Decide, Execute.   We were taught this in our riding classes.   I am never "asleep at the switch" whether I'm in my car or on my motorcycle.  I am continuously scanning the cars, their drivers, the intersections, the driveways, the lanes, the front wheels of vehicles that are poised at an intersection or driveway, trying to identify and predict potential hazards and take evasive action accordingly.  
  • Ride defensively!   It is a mistake to assume that everyone else knows the rules of the road.  It is also a mistake to assert our rights in regard to these road rules if we are at physical risk.  That is why I will often yield at a four-way stop if there's a shadow of doubt as to who has the right of way.  Even if I know I was there first, it's not worth the risk of collision to assert my position.  I'll do the same on interstates, for example when moving over a lane.  If another car looks like it might take that spot, especially if they're being reckless about it, I'll yield.  I'll yield to a driver who is merging on to a freeway and who obviously has not even checked his side mirror for traffic in that lane.  It's as simple as that.  
  •  Look for an escape route!  No skilled rider would ever consider "laying her down" as an option.  Rather than concentrating on an impending collision, those split seconds are better spent looking for a better alternative or escape route.  If we've been doing our job as proficient motorcyclists, we will have high situational awareness.  Is the left lane clear of vehicles?  Is someone following too close behind us?  If I had to, could I move to the right or left lane?  Those of us who have kept our skills sharp by regularly signing up to take an advanced rider course have practiced the "brake and swerve" technique numerous times and at different speeds, until we can do it without even thinking.  Viable options??  Swerve around the back side of the offending vehicle; or do a quick shoulder-check and swerve into the next lane;  or brake hard to scrub off significant speed and the collision might even be averted by giving the vehicle time to get out of the way; or scrub off speed and head for the shoulder.  And, course, the choice of last resort is to go ahead and collide with the vehicle after scrubbing off as much speed as possible.  A collision at 5 or 10 mph is far preferable to sliding along the roadway, possibly sliding into the path of an oncoming car.  A bike will slow much more quickly sliding on rubber than sliding on metal and plastic.


My experience?  
230,000 miles with only the very rare close call and no accidents.



4 comments:

  1. Great post. But I wonder where this 'technique' of laying it down comes from. There can never be a good reason and proper training offers so many other options... Thank you, I have forwarded the link to your posting to somebody who just started riding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Riding defensively is so important.. it has saved my butt quite a bit.

    Thanks for posting.

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Nice note/article. I started riding about 4 years and 47,000 miles ago. When I first started I heard from friends and family all of the different "horror" stories and reasons why riding was such a bad idea. But when I decided to ride I made a commitment to learn as much as I could about how to ride both safely and correctly. And I made a commitment to myself that whatever happened while I rode was 100% my responsibility. That second commitment (100% my responsibility) keeps me focused and has resulted in nothing but pure pleasure. Yes, I have had a few situations arise, but because of the reasons you mentioned (awareness, etc) I was prepared and made the adjustments needed to advert the potential "bad" situation. While I know this following comment may generate some debate, it sure seems to me that 29 out of 30 accidents are really the riders fault --- riding out of control, not situationally aware, etc.

    Safe riding everyone,

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete