Friday, August 6, 2010

FZ6 Update...

She now sits in my garage, shod in shiny new tires, sporting a shiny new chain and sprocket set and hopefully is ready to go. Mike picked me up on his FJR and brought me over to the dealer's just before noon.

Just as I was getting ready to leave the dealership, a couple of good-looking young men, loose tank tops barely concealing their ripped muscles and "six packs," tattoos on their arms, charming toothy white smiles that only 3 years of braces can produce - obvious sport bike riders - were leaving as well, and they stopped to chat with me a bit, asked me about my tankbag. They'd never seen one before but could dig how handy and convenient it would be to have one. Asked me what something like that costs (I said around $50), where do you buy them (I suggested Discount Motorcycle Tire over on Spencer Highway at Shaver, in Pasadena). I think they were just curious to find out who this "granny" was getting ready to ride off on an FZ6.

Then Mike came over and joined us and we learned one rides an R1 (awesome!) and the other a GSX 750. When one of them mentioned "Hayabusa" I had Mike tell these kids about The Texas Mile, as I thought they might enjoy something like that...you know, lots of speed! They seemed truly interested, wanted to know where Goliad TX was, and a few other questions. And did I say these fellas were a couple of "lookers?"

On the way home I noticed a really loud whine coming from the front tire - annoying as all get-out - so when I got home I checked the pressure in both front and rear and found the front to be 15 lb low, the rear 10 lbs low. HOPEFULLY it is simply technician error. I aired the tires up to 40 psi front and 42 psi rear (a couple of psi higher than spec, since the tires are hot) and will check them in the morning when the tires are cold and again in the evening, make sure there are no slow leaks.

Everything else looks good to go: No leaks from any of the radiator connections, good tension on the new chain, engine running like a top (but then, it always does). I checked the tankbag, made sure everything I'll need is there, and checked the accessory tool kit I carry in one of the Givi sidecases, moving the more accurate brass dial-type tire pressure gauge from the BMW to the Yamaha, just in case.

Now, thankfully, I can concentrate on packing for the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment