Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Post-Race Cincy chili

About a month before the Flying Pig marathon, I started looking into the possibility of calling a Ride-to-Eat (RTE) somewhere in the greater Cincinnati area. I posted the idea at the MTF forum, looking for suggestions and ideas from folks who were familiar with the area.

A few ideas were tossed about, including finding a chili parlor where I could try a uniquely local dish called "Cincy chili." A little bit of Googling and I found some likely candidates. One was a Skyline Chili restaurant in Covington. It looked interesting but when I went to their website I found that they were closed on Sundays. I checked the websites for a couple of the other Skyline Chili locations but they were also closed on Sunday.

Another option was a place called Dixie Chili, located in Erlanger KY. It was a good location and looked like a nice place to meet. So a RTE was called at this location for Sunday, May 2, at 1:00 PM.

In my Googling research I also searched for a bakery where I could buy a cake to take to the RTE, sort of a "celebration" of finishing the race...and admittedly to satisfy my sweet tooth. Lucky me! There was a cupcake shop right next to the Hilton Hotel. I purchased a dozen cupcakes and stowed them in my car trunk Saturday afternoon.

With a successful run completed, showered and dressed and checked out of the hotel, my next stop would be Dixie Chili in Erlanger to experience Cincy chili.



Frank Butler was the first MTF member to arrive just moments after I got there. He rode over from Cincinnati on his GL1500 in the rain. He and I grabbed a nice large round table and as we sat there visiting,

Bob and Pam Moore from Paducah arrived soon after, as did John Sauer from Louisville, riding his dual-sport. Don Kime arrived very soon afterward, having just finished up teaching an MSF class on the north side of the city.



I was hungry so Frank and I went up to the counter to order our food and he and the store manager helped me select my meal. It was explained to me what a 3-way, 4-way, and 5-way are. I went with a child's portion of a 5-way, which was plenty for me! Frank also felt that I needed a Coney dog to go with it...so what the heck!

Okay, so what's are these??

3-way: spaghetti, chili, shredded cheese

4-way: spaghetti, chili, beans, shredded cheese

5-way: spaghetti, chili, beans, onion, shredded cheese

And then there's even a 6-way, which includes chopped garlic

Here's what a 5-way looks like:


Here's what the Coney dog looks like:



The store manager wanted to make sure I ate the dish correctly. Don't twirl the spaghetti on my fork he said....cut the spaghetti up into fork-sized servings so that I get the full experience of all of the ingredients. I have to say that it truly was a unique and different taste experience! The onion, beans, and cheese all add their own distinctive flavors to the overall taste. And that hint of cinnamon! Like nothing I'd ever tasted before. And I liked it!
Thanks to everyone who came out in the rains - some of it heavy - to celebrate with me and witness my first experience with Cincy chili!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the DC report. Hope I get another chance at trying Dixie Chili. I'm sure I'll get in the vicinity sometime down the road!

    Congratulations on your 14th place at the Swine Line!

    ReplyDelete