Thursday, April 22, 2010

Is it the month of May, yet?

I don't know...maybe it's just me...but the month of April seems to be dragging on forever. Maybe it's because I've had no motorcycle trips this month. It could also be because I have to get this month behind me before I can run in the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati and then, later in the month, go to Sedona for a week of relaxation at a timeshare exchange.

Originally I had signed up to participate in the Cape Fear 1000 in mid-April. But then a close look at my calendar showed me to my horror that this event would happen two weeks before the Flying Pig event. Add in travel time home from Wilmington NC and travel time to Cincinnati, and I would have just a week in between. This would be compounded by the fact that my longest training run was scheduled to also happen on that same weekend as Cape Fear. Sure, I could juggle things a bit and do the run as soon as I got home, but I had to be realistic. Traveling to Lake Placid, Florida for the start (+ 2 days on the road), a day to prepare a rally route (+1 day), the rally itself (+ 2 days), and then travel back home to Houston (+ 2 days) would mean a major disruption, to the tune of 7 days of no running and not hydrating well, to my running schedule. Combine this with the dreadful way I tend to eat while on the road - and in particular, when I'm in "Iron Butt" mode - and I would risk being in less than great shape for the Flying Pig event. So, plans to participate in Cape Fear had to be jettisoned.

So, as I was saying, April has just dragged along. But there have been a couple of very brights spots along the way.



My precious little step-great grand-daughter Bree turned one year old early this month, and I spent time with her and her family for a little birthday party. She is the grand-daughter of my late husband's son Bruce. They live here in Houston and are all that I have remaining of the Smith clan. Bree is the daughter, second of two, of my late husband's #2 grand-daughter Shawndra.

Then, I was gifted by my very own adorable and sweet little grand-daughter! My son and daughter-in-law announced her arrival on April 10, 2010. I won't get to see her and hold her in my arms until September, when I have plans to fly out to Hawaii to visit with them.


But the sadness of not getting to see my son and his family has sort of put a pall over the remainder of the month. I've had to occupy my time and my thoughts with my running, in preparation for "Flying Pig" and on waiting for the occasional mild and sunny day to get one or the other of the motorcycles out of the garage and take it for a 60-70 mile ride just to keep the batteries charged, to burn off the old gas and put in fresh, and the get the oil moving through the engines.





As the month draws to a close, my roses have exploded with bloom and color, which has lifted my spirits and brightened my mood and my garden. This time next week I'll be in my car, driving toward Cincinnati and a new running experience: The Flying Pig Marathon.

1 comment:

  1. Nice writeup Barb. Sorry you could not make the CF this year. I managed to pull off a stunning last place in the mini! I did have fun.
    Best of luck in the Flying Pig. Paul.

    ReplyDelete